If you have a passion for transportation, design, and smart cities, we want to hear your voice on Move Forward. We are actively seeking article submissions and will work together to get your piece published.
We’ll be honest, though: writing takes work. Once your idea has been accepted, you’ll get extensive feedback from our team and you’ll work closely with an editor on revisions and work with our editor team on revisions.
What we’re looking for
We are looking for original articles—not published anywhere else, including your personal blog—that explore themes of cities, urban design, transportation, and mobility. We accept articles that are thoughtful, cite real trends and facts, and are written for an audience of designers, developers, transportation industry professionals, information architects, or similar. We do not accept press releases or sales pitches.
All articles will be reviewed by the Move Forward editorial team and must be 500 to 2500 words in length.
How to get started
- Submit your ideas via the email address above. The more complete and well thought out you are, the better feedback we can provide.
- We prefer submissions as Google Docs so editors can easily provide feedback and guidance directly within your draft.
Before you begin, look at recent articles for insight into structuring and formatting your piece, and make sure your piece:
- Has a thesis and offers a clear argument—not just a list of tips and tricks.
- Is bold, interesting, and human.
- Is supported with convincing arguments, not just opinions. Fact-check, and cite sources where appropriate.
Here’s what happens after you hit send
- An editor will review your submission and determine whether it’s a potential fit.
- The editor will collect feedback and return to you with notes.
- Once you’ve addressed our comments, we’ll send your revised draft back.
- If we accept your article, an editor will work closely with you on things like organization, argumentation, and style.
- We’ll schedule you for publication as soon as revisions are complete.
- We will share your article on the Move Forward social media channels and expect you to do the same through your social media accounts.